Mooresville, North Carolina
St. Therese is a rapidly growing, multicultural, Catholic parish located in the Lake Norman area of Mooresville, N.C., invigorated by Jesuit spirituality. Through ongoing stewardship and active involvement, they seek to become more like the 'Little Flower' of Jesus, St. Therese by following her "little way" of doing ordinary things with "extra-ordinary" love. St. Therese’s connection with the Jesuits began in 1970 and continues that affiliation today under their current pastor.
The St. Therese community of faith, celebration and service was founded in 1946 as the St. Gerard Mission of St. Joseph Church in Kannapolis. In 1949, as the St. Therese Mission, they occupied their next home in a reconstructed chapel from Camp Lejuene, seating about 168 people. They moved into the present facility in 1988. Today St. Therese Catholic Church has over 3,200 parish families and over 1,200 children and youth in Faith Formation Programs. St. Therese is one of the largest parishes in the Charlotte Diocese.
St. Therese has a variety of outreach ministries, including a prison ministry where members teach inmates in nearby jails and prisons practical skills to prepare them for life on the outside. Every year, the ministry hosts a Christmas party in the Taylorsville prison where they provide food for 100 inmates and sing Christmas songs.
An increasingly important part of the parish’s apostolic outreach has been its work among the Latino population of the area. Although the number of parishioners who speak Spanish as their first language hovers around 10 percent, the sacramental work extends far beyond the parish boundaries.
Due to the cooperation and help of the Jesuit Collaborative, an increasing number of parishioners are being made familiar with and inspired by Ignatian spirituality. Lay people are also learning more about Ignatian spirituality through participating in the Magis program, Christian Life Community and other activities that St. Therese is promoting with the Jesuit Collaborative.