Gesu Parish is a thriving, caring, Gospel-centered community of Catholics in Cleveland, Ohio, focused on Ignatian spirituality.
Gesu Parish - University Heights Ohio
2470 Miramar Blvd.
University Heights, OH 44118-3820
216-932-0617

Visit Website
Gesu Parish - University Heights Ohio

Cleveland, Ohio

Gesu Parish is a thriving, caring, Gospel-centered community of Catholics in Cleveland that is focused on Ignatian spirituality with the Eucharist at its heart. Gesu draws membership from several eastern suburbs and has more than 2,400 registered families. The parish’s Gesu School is a two-time recipient of the National School of Excellence Award.

In 1926, there were only two Catholic churches in the area to care for the expanding Catholic population. Archbishop Joseph Schrembs founded the new parish, Church of the Gesu, and placed it in the charge of the Jesuits who, at the time, were relocating their College of St. Ignatius from Cleveland's west side to University Heights and renaming it John Carroll University. 

The first parish Mass was celebrated on Easter Sunday in 1926 with 14 parishioners present. The 1950s saw construction of Gesu Rectory and the completion of the present church in 1958.

In 1994, a major building program began that would expand the present parish facilities to serve the needs of parishioners into the next century. The expansion included the school library, computer rooms, an adult education center, a small school chapel, art and music rooms and a family center housing an early childhood education center.

Today, Gesu parishioners are active in many of the parish’s ministries, including the Gonzaga Society, which serves parishioners in need; a food fund; the Gesu Honduras Mission team; and the Wellness Ministry, which provides volunteer opportunities for health care professionals.









Jesuit Retreat House
Located 80 miles north of Milwaukee, the Jesuit Retreat House on Lake Winnebago welcomes men and women of all faiths to its silent conference retreats.