Conroy, Richard C.Died
Jesuit Brother Richard C. Conroy died on Jan. 5, 2013, at Colombiere Center in Clarkston, Mich. Br. Conroy was born on Oct. 14, 1932, in Avon, Ohio. He entered the Society of Jesus on March 10, 1953, at Milford, Ohio. He took final vows on Aug. 15, 1965.
Br. Conroy earned a bachelor’s degree in history from the University of Detroit in 1981. Br. Conroy spent many years ministering to and caring for fellow Jesuits. He was a cook at Milford (1955-1957), the Detroit provincial residence (1958-1959), Colombiere Center (1959-1960), St. Stanislaus in Parma (1960-1962), and was the director of the refectory and kitchen at St. Ignatius High School in Cleveland (1962-1964). Br. Conroy was the assistant community treasurer and infirmarian at the University of Detroit (1964-1966), the assistant minister at Bellarmine School of Theology in Aurora, Colo. (1966-1969), and the minister at St. John’s High School (1969-1971).
He spent many years working in Jesuit high schools. He was a secretary at Loyola Academy (1957-1958), the special projects manager at the University of Detroit High School (1982-1988), and worked in the Development Office at St. Ignatius in Cleveland (1988-1994). Br. Conroy also spent a good portion of his Jesuit life working in the Detroit Province Office. He was assistant to the Socius and to the Province Treasurer (1971-1972), worked in the Province Development Office (1994-1995), was the Provincial’s secretary and assistant director of the Apostleship of Prayer (1995-2001) and was the director of the Apostleship of Prayer (2001-2006). Br. Conroy was also the assistant to the pastor at Saints Peter and Paul Jesuit Church (1977-1979) and was the interior decorator for the Detroit Province (1972-1976). He had been living at Colombiere Center since 2006.